From the very beginning of the Cistercian abbey, the Gatehouse served as a tower with a gate leading inside – in the middle of its plastered façade one can still see the brick arch of the vault over the bricked up passage. One of its walls run towards the further corner of the western wall of the Basilica, and the other along the Wierzyca River, at a distance from the parallel monastery buildings. The central (northern), oldest part of the building was erected in the 15th century. The Gatehouse was rebuilt in the years 1619-1649, crowning the building with Renaissance gables. In 1847 it was extended to the west, and in 1910 to the east. The southern part of the building is a former stable which was probably built in the middle of the 19th century.
The Gatehouse now houses the seat of the Diocesan Tourist Information Centre (DTIC), which controls the pilgrimage and tourist movements in the area of the Medieval Post-Cistercian Abbey. The works that will cover the historic building include repairs of the roof and sheet-metal coverings, walls and ceilings, façade, electrical and sanitary installations – including adjusting toilets for the disabled.